CA glue a Baldwin

Alan Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 7 21:50:34 MST 2006

Nonsense (respectfully to others who may have different, albeit, wacked-out
views <G>), since this piano has a pinblock that will not hold, the
pinblock is not part of a "good piano" at this point.

Remove or carefully cover the action (cover the keybed, anyway, if action
is removed) and carefully pour it in. Have materials ready to sop up any
drips. Use a hypo-oiler or some other means to carefully control flow and
placement. HAVE ACETONE WITHIN EASY REACH. Open windows and/or set up a
small fan to blow the stuff away from your face. Warn the customer, but
explain that when dry it has no odor. Usually better to go over all the
pins several times in smaller applications than to create Lake Erie around
each one. PUT DOWN A TARP or something to cover flooring and carpets. It
HAS been known to wander and drip and will ruin a carpet DAMHIK.

You can tune it shortly after treatment if the pins weren't too, too bad,
but they will be much tighter the second or third day so I'd make a second
trip if it isn't a six-hour drive.

If you do wait a day or two be prepared for what otherwise can be a
frightning phenomenon: Tap your hammer to move each pin slightly DOWN
before you tune it. There will be a fairly loud
sounds-like-a-string-breaking crack! as the CA breaks loose from the pin.
Then you can tune normally.

You WILL be amazed at the results. And for all practical purposes I'm not
sure the term "temporary fix" is appropriate. We don't really know how long
this treatment will last because it's only been used for a few years, but I
don't see any weaking yet in my pianos and haven't heard of any CA treated
blocks going south from others, yet either.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

It's