laminated ribs

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Tue Mar 7 22:27:58 MST 2006

David,
         You didn't sound harsh or judgmental at
all! You are very eloquent and intelligent in
your writings. I appreciate you posts always.
         I understand what a hammer does when it
hits a string (at least on a superficial level).
I maintain that it is the most easily adjustable
in the equation though. While it's an interesting
puzzle from the design standpoint I wonder if we
can expect that much accuracy from a hammer maker
anyway. I feel that through tried and true
voicing method applied evenly across the entire
scale you can achieve anything you want after
you've designed a predictable outcome in the belly assembly.
         I have to question your idea of building
a heavier soundboard spring assembly than that of
the string assembly. It seems to me that either
system will push against the other until
equilibrium is achieved anyway. Lighter or
heavier string tension would in either case
translate into downbearing or the amount of force
(not just angle) the strings were applying
against the upward push of a crowned board.
Sooner or later they would equalize and that is
what resultant angle you would have, no? I think
that what you are designing into a RC&S board is
not only the crown in a predictable amount across
the board but also it's stiffness or resistance
to deflection. In any case it all seems to boil
down to equal opposing forces. Maybe I'm missing
something here. The "nature abhors a vacuum" thing keeps coming to mind.
         If my previous assumptions are correct
it seems to me that the only way that you can
design is from the scale/board deflection
outward. A soundboard a string scale can be in a
state of equilibrium regardless of whether
anything ever strikes it or not. Could you not
and do we not often judge a pianos tone and sustain by plucking the strings?
         It's late and I'm getting kind of foggy
here. I'm quite sure there's something to your
ideas. I'm just not sure how much.

best,
Greg

mailto:gnewell at ameritech.net