Voicing of high bass on Steinway L

Bec and John Silva bjsilva001 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 8 21:50:32 MST 2006

HI Dale,

Thanks for the reply!

On this piano I had actually stuck some Arledge strings in the lowest
bass - I agree, the single-wound strings on an L produce a useless
tone in the last few notes, and Arledge's are excellent. I recently
replaced the entire bass with GC strings. The low end isn't as nice
as the Arledge bass, but certainly better than the default single-
wound strings. However, GC alters the string tension in the high
range (to be lower) and I was suspicious this might contribute to my
distaste for the tone. From what Danny at GC told me, Steinway
continues the high tension in the L.

So, in another attempt I just ordered some Mapes, which I assumed
(perhaps wrongly!) would follow the default Steinway tensions. I am
hoping to have a better chance at reproducing that relatively
terrific sound from the L I ran across, which I have just received
permission to examine next Tuesday. I'll let you know what I turn up
if you're interested.

As for the piano in question, the hammers are fairly old, maybe even
originals (from 1925). Nice felt, old-ish but better quality than
what comes on Steinways now. I personally don't have a problem with
the tone of notes 27-29, in fact the "original" strings on this piano
had an acceptable transition from A25-B27 - it was just the Bb26 that
had a bad sound. I actually just heard a new model O on Monday, which
also suffered a similar sound on Bb26, but A25 and below were fairly
nice.

If you have any voicing advice I would really love to hear it! I am
competent at superficial voicing, but not much more. I'm looking for
a less punchy attack and a warmer-full-bodied tone. I tried a bit of
needling on the shoulders, which improved the tone a bit, but I'm
afraid of over-voicing so I didn't do too much.

Thanks!

- John