Teacher's Advice

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Fri Mar 10 08:36:21 MST 2006

 This is an old topic, but it resurfaces every once in a while.

I have a client who bought a Kawai Petite grand with a player system in it. I tuned it about a year ago--and replaced a hammer shank broken by the movers, who had removed the action.

I sent a postcard and followed up with a phone call 6 months later, and they said the piano didn't need tuning. Last week, a year later, I knew I was going to be in their neighborhood with time for an appointment, so I called to see if they wanted me to come out. The woman said yes, so we scheduled a time and day.

The day before the job, I got a call from the husband, who informed me that "the teacher thinks only a few notes are out of tune. She says that sometimes tuners will come out to touch up the piano for a lesser fee than a regular tuning."

I held my tongue, but guaranteed him, based on the state of the piano at the previous appointment, that not only would it need tuning, but a fair-sized pitch adjustment was likely. He's quite a nice guy, and he accepted my explanation, but I was a bit miffed at the teacher.

Sure enough, the piano was 10 cents flat and some unisons had gone very out of tune. I played a few notes, and he heard the beating unisons and octaves. I adjusted the pitch and tuned it. I made it clear that it should be done again in 6 months.

How do YOU feel about teachers (who probably have their pianos tuned every 5 years) who offer this kind of advice? I get a bit peeved.

Just because someone knows how to "operate" a piece of equipment doesn't mean they have a clue as to how it operates or whether it needs service.

Whose opinion would you trust if asking about servicing a car, your mechanic's or your taxi driver's?

Dave Stahl
Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560
Dstahlpiano.net