piano actions

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Fri Mar 10 19:54:53 MST 2006

At 20:06 3/10/2006, you wrote:
>Hi Conrad,
>Sorry if that was a stupid question but I'm told, save you actions parts. I
>was curious if actions were interchangable. like a Safari engine and Astro
>engine.
>Marshall

End of a long week, sorry...

Spark plugs, oil filter the same??  Maybe..., maybe not. "Universal"
sparkplug wires..., perhaps.

Some parts are, some aren't readily swapped or even adapted.  Butts
and flanges come in a variety of sizes and shapes, as do jacks,
wippens, etc.  It sounded like you were contemplating a complete
transplant.  THAT is very unlikely due to different scaling, action
size, hammer spacing, #notes per section, method and location of
pedal attachment points, etc., etc. and the aforementioned parts
variety which is possible.

Individual parts may work beautifully, like butts, but even those may
have to be customised.  You may have to do such things as swap
flanges on wippens/butts/abstracts(if present). Hammer angle/size may
be different even if everything below them fits.

Can you say, "can of worms"??  Especially for the "enthusiastic"
owner...   This is why many electronics state, "No user servicable
parts inside".

Most parts will gather dust waiting for just the right piano to come
along. Luck will play a large part.

Conrad Hoffsommer
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be
misquoted, then used against you.