The kinks, was v-bar/capo repair

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Mon Mar 13 06:01:53 MST 2006

I wrote:

>       There is another way.  It doesn't require additional stuff and you
can
>tell instantly whether it is effective or not.  Using a string hook, capture
>the offending wire between the capo bar and the string rest and  give the
tool
>a twist.  Just enough to create a barely discernable kink in the wire .

Ed asks:

   >>How long does this last?  Does the kink eventually release and go out of
tune?
Have you ever broken a string doing this, or are you just kidding? >>

      Technicians NEVER break strings; strings do happen to break when we are
moving them around, though.
This technique lasts a long time, years in numerous cases.  As long as the
plastic deformation limit is not surpassed, the kink stays there.
     I believe that music wire accomodates itself to tension almost
instantly, and the "stretching" process a new string undergoes is just the wire
releasing tension around the outside radius where it is bent around the hitch and
bridge pins, agraffes or capo, or any other point it is diverted from a staight
line.   The vast majority of flatness I see in a new replacement string comes
from the coil. This is because the friction between the coil and pin is
sufficient to prevent the becket from ever seeing the full tension of the speaking
length.  Ergo, the coil will continue giving up slack forever, (in the same
sense that it is mathematically impossible to completely empty the water out of a
discarded automobile tire).  Removing this slack upon installation helps the
string to settle in, tremendously.
    I have found that by gripping the coil with vise grips, and twisting it
in the direction of pull, I can usually remove about 150 cents of flattening
right when I install the string.  Another few days at pitch and the new string
will be stable. (this is after progressively "hardening" the bends around the
hitch and bridge pins, and lifting in front of the capo or agraffe, in that
order).
  OOps, going off a tangent there.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT