Treble tuning for elderly clients

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Mon Mar 13 16:37:47 MST 2006

Conrad's reply to the "ohoh" thread spurs me to ask a question
regarding tuning for elderly clients, I'll say 70+ yrs. of age.   Often
when they call me for tuning, the main complaint is about the piano
being especially out of tune in the high treble.  When I get to the
piano, the mid section is wildly out and the treble is much more in
tune.  I tune the piano properly, but sometimes I'm not convinced I
have solved the problem in the high treble, according to their ears.

Just what is their perception?  I tend to think that there is some high
frequency hearing loss going on there, perhaps coupled with a
heightened sensitivity to certain partials or frequency interactions
that are painful for them to listen to.

Surely I'm not the only technician encountering this.  How can we tune
the piano properly and do the client justice without implying "if this
sounds bad to you, you better get your ears checked"?   (I had my ears
checked not too long ago, and there was no hearing loss apparent, in
case anyone is wondering... :^)

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440