The kinks,

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Mon Mar 13 17:35:47 MST 2006

Don writes:

<< I think you mean that the plastic deformation limit has to be slightly
exceeded--if you wish the *kink* to stay. If it were not exceeded, the kink
would not be created at all.>>

I understand that.  I was responding to a question about whether the kink
would remain, and I said that as long as the limits were not surpassed, the kink
would stay.  Actually, the string would break before it could withstand enough
tension to straighten the kink out.  The kink is a deformation, but caused by
the tool twisting the string perpendicular to its length.  Trying to pull the
string hard enough to straighten it would break it.  Unlike lead came, used
in stained glass work, which is straightened by pulling, the steel doesn't obey
the same laws.

>>I've been doing a similar thing but at 90 degrees--lifting the strings just
on the tuning pin side of the agraffe--it works very well and seats the
strings at the top of the agraffe too. <

   I described, some time ago, my procedure for seating the strings on the
agraffes,  it was the one where I take a dull screwdriver and smack the string
right behind the agraffe.  It works like a charm.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT