SV: So, let's talk about damper lift

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Tue Mar 14 20:04:57 MST 2006

Kjell writes:

<< On the other hand, what the pianist could feel with this alternative

adjustment of the pedal, is the contact between keyend-felt and

underlevers when playing single-note passages (in most cases with his

right hand) when the pedal is down.

Do you re-adjust the damper-stop rail a little bit lower as a part of

this modification? >>

      I set the stop rail so that the damper head will move the least amount
when the key is depressed.  On Steinways, with their combined arcs of tray and
underlever, this has to be set by trial and error, and sometimes I have to
compromise by having too much travel without the pedal to have just enough with
the pedal.  I try to minimize this by making sure that there is the least
amount of lost motion in the pedal BEFORE I set the underlever height to the
keyend felt.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT