PTG pace classes in

James H Frazee jimfrazee at msn.com
Wed Mar 15 09:00:27 MST 2006

Hi, Marshall.  I'm the Jim from New York, the one who grew up in Indiana and went to I.U., my son went to Notre Dame.

I just recently bought the PACE books and they are very good, not only in their detail but also because they have lots and lots of photos, better than Reblitz or the Potter Course.  You may have been confused by the photos, though - there are only five books even though there are six photos (the sixth is the offering of all five).  Hope that makes sense.

I know you've taken some heat from some of the board contributors in the past and so I'll offer what is just my opinion about that.  Please keep in mind, this is just my opinion from my observations of some of your posts and replies to them.

Many if not most of the board participants are not just RPT's but also they are very, very intense about it, having years and years of experience, training and, therefore, expert opinions.  To be sure, many of them are the leaders of the industry and have worked very hard to reach that goal.  You and I are both only Associates at this point and it'll be years before we can "hold our own" in a conversation with them about any technical matters.  Some of our comments and questions (yours AND mine) have been sophomoric and some have been just plain "folksy".  I also believe that some of your comments/replies are intended to get the board to "like" you, to get you accepted into the group of professional technicians.  An admirable goal but one that will be accomplished by achievement and merit and experience, not by a fireside chat.  This is a social skills kind of thing and something you should be mindful of.  It is not something, however, that is appropriate for general board posting - privately, sometimes okay but for everyone to read in a professional forum, inappropriate.  Having grown up in Indiana, I know that "us plain folk from the Midwest" are in fact different from people in other parts of the country.  At least here in New York, it's part of our "charm" on the one hand and a dangerous liability on the other.  But people from all parts of the country are different - Maine, Brooklyn, the deep South, etc., etc. but those differences have no place in a board such as this.  I am surrounded by and have worked with many famous people, none of whom intimidate me in the slightest but to each of whom I owe and give respect and deference.  Maybe an attempt at a joke will illustrate:  What do you call a person who hangs around with RPT's?

An Associate.  We can learn more by "listening" than by "talking".      Just my two cents worth.  I think you'll get a second chance.