Rib Layout

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Mar 17 13:03:51 MST 2006

> When laying out a rib array, what is the basic principle for the number 1
> rib placement with respect to the bass bridge.

I like to have the low end of the bass bridge sitting directly
on the center of the first rib, or thereabouts.

>Similarly, is there a basic
> principle that guides the placement of the rib closest to the bottom end of
> the tenor bridge.
>
> David Love

That, and the high end of the bass bridge, and the number of
ribs under the bass bridge, are part of deciding how many ribs
I want. I expect it's less problematic with a transition
bridge (never tried it without), because of the angle of the
bridge from the case side. You can extend the bridge closer to
the rim for whatever stiffness you want with less concern as
to where the ribs are. Without the transition, I'd want the
low tenor sitting on a rib, at least, probably rib #2, and
maybe extending the bridge back under the plate as well.
Depends on the layout. There's lots of juggle, squint, and ponder.

Ron N