MY ETD IS MADE BY SIEMENS-- IT'S CALLED A HEARING AID

Alan Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 17 23:00:19 MST 2006

I'm NOT trying to pick a fight here, but some of these posts sound kind of "aurallier than thou," to me, and I thought (and hoped) we'd gotten past that years ago.

I personnally believe in being proficient in both aural and ETD tuning. But people who do use ETDs tend to use them most of the time. There is a reason for that: it's easier and for many operations, like one-pass pitch raises, it is faster and more accurate for most tuners. Also, in noisy environments you just can't beat 'em.

While it is unquestionably true that the ear hears many things that machines do not (voicing and unwanted noise as prime examples), it is equally true that the machine has capabilities that the ear does not, e.g., string diagnostics, strength of partials (an aid to voicing), spectrum analysis of difficult unisons (high treble, especially), etc.

So, ears? ETDs? I use both. I am amazed at the ability of so many outstanding aural-only tuners, and I am also cognizant that some of the finest concert performance tuners are, unabashedly, ETD tuners.

The late, great George Defebaugh said (with reference to ETDs): "If you live long enough, every tuner will need these someday." Okay, and/or or maybe hearing aids.

Another point: Some types of hearing loss can be remarkably compensated by hearing aids. Others cannot. Depends on the pathology and neurology involved, I suppose.

Yet another point: I certainly have encountered pianos which were last tuned by very experienced aural tuners who were obviously just guessing at the extremes of the piano, especially the treble. If I get to that point, I will be thrilled to whip out the old Pocket PC, punch up Tunelab, and get that high treble dead on.

There is no shame, nor is there any particular nobility, in being either an ETD tuner or an aural tuner, and there is real advantage to being both, IMH?O.

Do we agree that ALL that really counts are results, i.e., sweetly tuned pianos, happy customers, and a jingle in the tuner's pocket?

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

P.S. And yes, by all means, get your hearing checked and protect what you have!