Filing hammers

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Sat Mar 18 10:15:23 MST 2006

Hello list.

I have a newbee question.
I use to file hammers who need it this way : I put a wooden support between the backchecks and the stack, under the hammers tails, and use a whole sheet of sanding paper with kind of fabric flexible structure to gang-file about 15 hammers at the same time, using my right hand to tear the sheet and my left one to put some pressure on the hammers, always tearing in the same direction, starting with grit 60 down to very fine.  I get always nice horizontal hammer crowns but the two outer hammers in the gang, who always end up oblique, no matter how much care I develop to avoid this.  Of course, I then rectify those two individually, but they end up with smaller hammer heigth.
Is there some solution to this problem that obviously flew over my head ?

Thanks in advance for anything but cynism.

Stéphane Collin.