Filing hammers

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Sat Mar 18 12:45:50 MST 2006

Thanks David, this I will try.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David Love
  To: 'Pianotech List'
  Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2006 7:05 PM
  Subject: RE: Filing hammers

  I don't prefer the fabric backed paper.  It's too pliable.  I use paper back cut into strips about 3 inches wide and backed with masking tape to prevent the paper from ripping and stiffen it a bit.  I file always toward the crown from each side and then polish off the top tuft with something finer so you can control it more easily.  When you get to the end of a section just work carefully and use a fresh enough piece of paper that you don't need to pull very hard to get things to cut.  Don't put pressure on the end hammer with your hand because the paper is unsupported by an adjacent hammer as it is with all the others.  Put pressure (light) only on the hammers one or two in from the end of the section and the end hammer will get filed just fine.

  The angled hammers, needless to say, must be filed individually.