Franz Besendorfer "Made To Order Style" #1

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Sat Mar 18 15:43:06 MST 2006

"Made to Order Style" makes it clear it was not made in Austria or Germany, where folks speak and write in German, not English.
It was probably either a stencil piano, or, less likely, assembled from mass produced available parts.  "Made to Order" is part of the sales gimmick, as is "Besendorfer."
Serial #1 doesn't lead us to expect much production, or much history.
Was there any other writing found in the piano?
An old upright found in Hoboken was probably made in New York.  Were there any piano factories in Hoboken?
Chances are you can find standard replacement parts in Schaff, Pianotek and Brooks catalogs.
If the action is different from typical old upright, it would be nice to see pictures.
Ed Sutton