player piano repair class

Tvak at aol.com Tvak at aol.com
Sun Mar 19 12:13:51 MST 2006

List

My timing's off on this, but one class I've always looked for and never
found at the National Institute is Basic Player Piano  Repair.  I probably get 5
or 6 calls a year asking if I can repair  the player mechanism on their piano
and I'm afraid to touch the things for fear  I'll break them.

It would be great to see a class that just covered some of the more basic
repairs you would most likely encounter, and some instruction on how to safely
remove the darn things in order to tune them more easily.

Has such  a class ever been scheduled in the past?  Or is there one in the
works for  the future, at any of the upcoming regional conventions, perhaps?

Or is there a book available on the subject?  I'm not interested in  becoming
the "go to" guy on players in my area, but I would like  to know something
about the more common repairs I might encounter.

Tom Sivak
Chicago