Checking

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 23 16:07:46 MST 2006

Well, I will remember this advice when I come to a grand, but I was talking about an upright.

  Matthew

"William R. Monroe" <pianotech at a440piano.net> wrote:
  John,

One benefit of regulating at the piano, in general, is that you know you are
regulating the action with respect to the surface it will permanently rest
upon - the key bed. The surface of the keybed does not necessarily match
the regulating bench.

In this case in particular, it is very quick and easy to simply slide the
action partway out of the cavity, set checking, slide it in and check,
repeat until you are done. Much quicker than removing the action to a
bench. Using the knee (one leg crossed over the other, in my case) is
convenient because, as Quentin pointed out, it is easy to adjust the support
under the action by moving your knee under the keyframe, checking aftertouch
to verify. Make sense?

Admittedly, this is simply one way of setting checking. I happen to like it
particularly for setting checking that is fairly close to start with. If
I've a new set of backchecks or the checking is way off, I'd probably set a
sample or two at the piano, pull the action to a bench (lid of piano) and
get it close that way, then return to the piano and my knee.

Regards,
William R. Monroe