planers

Lhadeh at wmconnect.com Lhadeh at wmconnect.com
Thu Mar 23 19:52:07 MST 2006

I have an old Ryobi that I bought from a woodworking neighbor a couple of
years ago.  I remember giving him about $75 for the planer with 3 extra blade
sets recently professionally sharpened.  He upgraded to a DeWalt because it
causes less snipe at the ends of the planed boards.

Snipe is a problem with most planers.  There are several ways to make it less
of a problem, but none that I know of that will completely eliminate it.  I
either waste the 3 inches at each end of the board that has the snipe, or I can
almost eliminate it by feeding short sacrificial boards in ahead and behind
the good board.

Several of the woodworking magazines have had extensive reviews in the last
year or so.  One likes Makita, another DeWalt, another Delta, another Ridgid,
etc.  I wouldn't think you'd go wrong with any of those.