Crescendo - a growing family

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Fri Mar 24 02:34:27 MST 2006

Hello fellow felt fiends,

Here is a picture of new Crescendo felt I had the felt factory make for
me.   We have (l - r) 3 mm, 4 mm, 5.5 mm, 7 mm, as well as 3 mm thick
regulating punchings, 10 mm and 11 mm in diameter.

The thinner felt could be a superior alternative to action cloth, for
wippen heels etc.  The thicker material is perfect  for applications
such as key end felt.

This is the same material the Crescendo front rail punchings are made
out of.  This felt is highly fulled (felted), as such it can do without
the usual heat pressing to attain its density.  This results in a firm,
yet resilient felt.   Essentially, the plant can make this felt to
almost any density and thickness within reason.  It is simply a
question of determining what is the best for our purposes as piano
technicians, combined with the realities of factory production.  Those
realities do include factors such as minimum factory run size, but if
there are prospects of a marketable product for the factory, just about
anything can be possible.

This could be the beginning of very interesting developments for piano
actions.