laminated ribs

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Mar 25 10:22:22 MST 2006

I see.  By larger piano do you mean a D?  Or are you going up to 900 lbs
for, say, a B as well?  You mentioned previously that you are building the
ribs for higher load than you started originally and you found that there
was some relationship to hammer tolerance.  The boards that you are now
building that are set up for, say, 650 lbs, what would those have been
previously?

Just as an aside, you said that you plan for 40% deflection and end up
somewhere between 40 and 50%.  I assume you are calculating your deflection
from beam formulas and basing it on the rib properties only and ignoring the
panel in the calculations, for the most part.  It's interesting that when
you calculate for deflection based on the ribs only that the panel itself
contributes very little if anything to the stiffness of the assembly in
terms of the overall deflection.  Do I understand that correctly?

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net