Tuning from scratch

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Sat Mar 25 14:07:27 MST 2006

In a message dated 3/25/2006 12:31:48 PM Pacific Standard Time,
BobDavis88 at aol.com writes:
Pitch correction is the same as tuning, only faster. Assuming the piano is
flat, set the A about a third as many beats sharp as it now is flat, then use
your normal tuning pattern, only force yourself to rip through it in about 1/4
to 1/3 whatever time it usually takes you to fine tune. If it doesn't come out
right on, or average within about 1/2 beat per second in the temperament area,
do it again until it does, then fine tune. If the strings are old, or the
pitch raise is really huge, make one pass with very little or no overshoot, then
see the above.
I forgot two details - strip muting and the order of tuning. I prefer to
strip mute with two strips (of action cloth, split down the middle except for an
inch at the end), alternating notes through the triples. That is, the strip
goes between unisons, but only every other one. The second strip goes where the
other one didn't. In the bass, the strip goes every other space, muting the
left string of one unison and the right string of the next.  On a grand this
strip muting takes me 40-50 seconds, and saves lots of individual muting time. On
an upright it takes a little longer. I
1. tune the center strings of the temperament, go to the bottom of the
triples chromatically, then to the top of the piano chromatically.
2. I yank one strip, which exposes the left string of one note, and the right
string of the next note, and tune.
3. Then I pull up the bass LRLR, then pull its strip, tune RLRL,
4. then yank the remaining strip from the triples and tune them.

Your absolute timing will vary from anyone else's but should, as I say, be
kept to about 1/4 to 1/3 of whatever it takes you to fine tune.

Bob Davis