Tuning from scratch

J Patrick Draine draine at comcast.net
Sat Mar 25 14:17:53 MST 2006

As I'm reading the various posts that suggest "get a machine
already", I feel the need to pipe up with the voice of the
troglodyte: wait a while. Practice your aural tuning skills. While
you have identified yourself as a "student tuner", without your
having posted a bit more of an introduction, it's hard to know
whether you received a mail order correspondence course in the mail
two weeks ago, or if you're in your second year of a brick & mortar
tuning school, or you're working as an apprentice in the shop of an
illuminary such as Jack Wyatt (and no, Texas geography is not my
strong point), etc.
Slogging through an aural half tone pitch raise is a real learning
experience. It takes a lot of practice (and tips from others) before
it gets less difficult.
And a while after when you've really got it down --  then go ahead
and get the power tools!
Patrick
who's used ETDs for a long time now