planers

Lhadeh at wmconnect.com Lhadeh at wmconnect.com
Sat Mar 25 16:29:50 MST 2006

One of the reasons my neighbor's new DeWalt causes less snipe is because it
has a positive lock on the height adjusting posts, where the old Ryobi he sold
me just relies on the lead screw threads.  However all the better quality
planers now have this feature.

Another method of reducing, or essentially eliminating snipe is to make a
sturdy sled to support the wood being planed.  It should be straight, flat and
considerably longer than the wood to be planed.  A length of melamine covered
MDF shelving fits the bill precisely.  The wood to be planed can be stuck down
with carpet tape so it doesn't slip.

I'd do some experimenting with the planer you have.  The lifting at the
beginning and end of cut only reduces the problem somewhat for me, but remember, my
planer is an old Ryobi that's had thousands of board feet of wear and tear.
But by either using a sled or by feeding scrap ahead and behind the good wood
piece gives me acceptable planing.