Yamaha GB1

Alan Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 25 20:31:02 MST 2006

1. 8K is a good price.

2. It is virtually identical to the GA-1 which is a real dog/pig/Yamahahaha BUT

3. It has six pairs of wound bichords on the low end of the tenor bridge instead of the too-heavy, too-slack plain wire trichords that the GA-1 has. This is the area of the GA-1 that was hard to tune, sounded not so hot, and was very reactive to change, i.e., unstable.

I tuned one GB-1 as a first in-home tuning and I tune a couple of the "A"s. I liked tuning the "B" much better and thought it had a pretty sweet tone, considering size, Asian hammers, etc. I haven't been back yet so can't speak to the stability, but I think it will be much better.

All in all, I think the GB-1 is just fixing the big oops in the GA-1 scale, but I was impressed with the difference.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri