Protecting plain wire from rust

Mark Schecter schecter at pacbell.net
Sun Mar 26 12:44:05 MST 2006

Hi, Andrew.

I guess "approved" means it's a trade secret?! Since Boston=Kawai, this
sort of addresses my question about manufacturers, to a point. I thought
it might collect a bit of dust. But now I'm wondering, what climates do
they consider wet enough to warrant grease, and is the SF Bay Area one
of them? And do they really decide before stringing which pianos are to
be sold into a given climate area? Or do they, as I understand Yamaha
does, decide which piano is going where before seasoning the wood?

I agree on Edwards string covers, but on some pianos, or for some
owners, the solution is not practical/desired. For instance, performance
pianos that are moved, opened and closed by stage hands, it would be
difficult to manage DC/stringCovers, yet protection from tarnish is
highly desirable.

So what is the grease that Boston uses?

Thanks!

-Mark