Protecting plain wire from rust

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Sun Mar 26 17:30:42 MST 2006

No, it's a grand. I haven't actually tested the RH. I replaced the DC at her
request. I'm not so sure this was a good idea in that after replacement to
the new "smart" DC the rusting appeared to accelerate. I checked the DC and
it is installed correctly and is working as I believe it should. However, I
think there are some environment things working against it. The piano sits
under a forced air heater duct, and about 6' away from a sliding glass door
into the back yard. Additionally, she only lives a couple of miles from the
beach and the humidity in the area is generally higher than the rest of LA.
I unplugged the humidifier part of the DC and that appears to have helped
the rusting. I'm thinking that an overly dry room right next to a the
outside humidity was causing the humidifier to work harder than desirable
for the environment. Next visit I may just unplug the whole thing from the
wall. I don't think the de-humidifier is necessary in that room, and
besides, she complains about the blinking lights from the disconnected, (and
now dry), humidifier.

-- Geoff Sykes
-- Assoc. Los Angeles