Vintage Chickering

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sun Mar 26 17:56:25 MST 2006

Hello Listees,

I've a question for those of you who have working knowledge of old, Really
Olde, Chickerings.  I'm looking at an approx. 8' Chickering, #20961, late
1850's as a potential for myself, in my home.  It needs everything, flat
strung (is that right, Ron?) haven't seen the action, but am wondering what
potential pitfalls this instrument may have that other rebuilds in general
might not.  One area of concern (I've heard) is that there may be difficulty
in removing the plate.  Anyone know of this as a consistent problem in old
Chickering grands?  Anything else I may want to watch out for?

Thanks all,
William R. Monroe