Recreating key travel--was Re: Checking

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Sun Mar 26 18:29:43 MST 2006

> One benefit of regulating at the piano, in general, is that you know you are
> regulating the action with respect to the surface it will permanently rest
> upon - the key bed.  The surface of the keybed does not necessarily match
> the regulating bench.

Yup--so using the knees is good if you keep your dip block handy and can get
the same key travel, plus or minus .1mm, as you get in the keybed---the
trick, with bendy-type keyframes---Yamaha, Kawai, Schimmel, to name 3---
is to use the dip block often, and create a rest position on your knees that
is relatively constant.

Or, more elegantly, IMO, do what I do---use Laroy Edwards' action trolley
and recreate the exact key travel out of the piano but right next to it...
Ahhh.

David Andersen