Vintage Chickering

Will Wickham wwickham at stny.rr.com
Sun Mar 26 19:50:01 MST 2006

Hi William,

I have a customer with Ye Olde Chickering grand - about 7 - 8 feet.
This one is overstrung and is about 20 years younger than what you're
describing. While I haven't had it completely apart, I can see how
getting the plate out might be a bit tricky. The pinblock end of the
plate (and presumably the block beneath) are set at slight incline
compared to the plane of the strings. Over the past 12 years that I
have serviced this instrument I haven't had any problems that weren't
associated with age (primarily bridge issues) or spills (teenagers and
a party...).

Hope this helps some!

will wickham