Protecting plain wire from rust

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Sun Mar 26 20:53:20 MST 2006

Excellent tips. Thanks.

-- Geoff Sykes
-- Assoc. Los Angeles

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Andrew and Rebeca Anderson
Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2006 5:49 PM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: RE: Protecting plain wire from rust

Geoff,
If this is a small to mid-sized grand you want about 100 watts
underneath.  That close to the coast you can disable the humidifier
side of the system.  If she doesn't like the light indicator, merely
relocate it to the belly rail/some-other-convenient-location.
To stop rust from continuing she needs a string-cover.  End of
story.  The DC shouldn't contribute to rust (unless she's using a
cheap Wal Mart industrial strength additive.)  Cooking or cleaning
habits (nearby) may have more to do with rust.  That duct vent should
have a deflector over it.  The DC can't protect the strings from rust
from under the sound-board unless there is a string-cover above to
contain the environment.  Additionally the string cover will extend
the environment into the action cavity and make cleaning easy.  Visit
http://www.edwardsstringcovers.com/  The site is a little slower now
with the flash presentation but it covers the reasons why a cover
isn't optional in your situation quite well.

Good luck,
Andrew Anderson