Women and Tuning

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Mon Mar 27 09:54:50 MST 2006

Greetings,

            I have been tuning for about 34 months and have never had a
problem. Although one must still be alert and cautious. However, I was told to
always have a cell phone on your person. If a situation seems fishy call home from
the place you are tuning, and tell them you are going to be home in 10-15
minutes, speak so that the people in the place where you are tuning can hear you
leaving this message or speaking such things. It lets them know you will be
missed, if youre not on time.
            Having the same concern as you,  I once asked an Oriental gal who
was a tuner (back before I was a tuner)  the same question. Her reply was
"You have tuning hammer in  kit, that has some weight!"  That was her answer.
            My own experience has been that people who own pianos are very
cool, and down to earth folks. I (knock on wood) have never had a problem. On
another twist, remember that you are going to have women costomers who are
afraid to have a man come to the house and may prefer a woman tuner. I works two
ways.

Julia Gottshall
Readong, PA