slowing down rust

Don pianotuna at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 27 11:43:32 MST 2006

Hi Julia,

Do a google search on "relative humidity".

Ambient humidity is the level that exists *right now* in the room.

R.H.

Suppose you have 1 liter of air and it is at 20 degrees Celsius. Suppose
the measured humidity inside the container is 30%. If one increases the
temperature without allowing any air to escape the humidity will remain at
30%. If on the other hand one allows air to escape--then there are fewer
molecules of air--and fewer molecules of water so the "relative" humidity
will be lower.

Most manufactuers seem to suggest 42% but a few recommend 50% (The old
Canadian firm of Heintzman recommended 50%).

Wood may crack below 30% R.H. and rust may start at 65% so anything within
those limits is "mechanically safe". However I do have data that suggests
that even a 5% RH change will cause A4 to drift 4 cents (if the piano is
allowed to reach equilbrium). I believe optimal would be any humidity level
between 30% and 60% so long as it *never* changed. I.E. 35% 24/7 or 55% 24/7.

At 11:30 AM 3/27/2006 EST, you wrote:
>  Greetings,            What is the difference between relatrive humidity
>and ambient humidity? Am I even asking the right question? Perhaps I just
>want to know what relative humidity means.             pianos?   Julia
>Gottshall

Regards,

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner