Vintage Chickering

Steve Ganz steveganz at mailaka.net
Mon Mar 27 10:34:05 MST 2006

I just looked at one (8' similar era) last week for a customer who
wanted to rebuild it.  The soundboard was shot, filled with screws,
flat, cracked, painted, etc.  Unfortunately the plate was mortised into
the case on all sides.  You could just see the edge of the plate screw
heads poking out from under the inner rim on top of the plate.  Without
removing the entire inner rim above the plate this plate could not be
removed.  No removal of plate, no fix of soundboard.  The pin block was
open and would be impossible to replace without moving the plate, which
of course cannot be done economically.  Unfortunately, the pin block
itself was in too poor condition to plug and redrill.  By the way, the
action parts were not replaceable.  Nothing available that fit.  Even
the hammers were difficult because of their light weight.  Regulation
was very difficult.  Rocker capstans and turn in damper wires, etc.  It
sounded awful...  My advice for you is to leave it alone if it is like
the one I saw.  Classic definition of a time and money pit.