laminated ribs

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Mar 28 07:48:56 MST 2006

One question I have is why, if you want to create a higher design loaded
board, do you need to increase the bearing?  On an RC&S board, with little
change in tone coming from modest changes in bearing, isn't it enough to
simply stiffen the assembly with the same residual bearing?  The difference
would be, I assume, the amount of deflection.  But if the panel deflects 30%
instead of 50% is that a problem tonally?  Wouldn't you have the same net
tonal effect without having to increase the actual bearing load on the
board?

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net