problem learning how to use an insta coiler

Richard Gullion pianoguy at rogers.com
Tue Mar 28 19:35:53 MST 2006

--- pianotune05 <pianotune05 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
> Yesterday I went to chicago to learn string
> replacement.  Unfortunatley, I had to learn on this
> tool called an insta coiler. I literally hate this
> thing.  First, am I suposed to simply use it with
> the little thin handle, or is the top suposed to
> have a tuning lever tip placed on it and turned by
> the tuning lever......?

Hope this will help.....

INSTRUCTIONS FOR USING THE SCIORTINO INSTA-COILER

The Sciortino INSTA-COILER has been designed to make a
factory perfect coil on any piano. The INSTA-COILER is
adjustable so that it can fit any size tuning pin.
Approximately 95% of the existing pianos today contain
2/0 tuning pins. The INSTA-COILER has been set to wind
a coil around a 2/0 pin but can be easily adjusted to
fit any other size pin.

STRINGING

- When replacing a string in a piano, make certain
that the tuning pin has been turned out of the
pinblock, (usually 4 turns will do).

- When inserting new pins, always leave enough room on
the tuning pin for as many coils to be wound as
desired. REMEMBER: You can always drive the tuning pin
in further if necessary.

- When stringing a piano with 2/0 pins, turn socket
counterclockwise until it can not turn anymore.

1. Insert piano wire into hole in tuning pin, ( you do
not have to make a becket), and place INSTA-COILER on
tuning pin.

2. If the handle ( see diagram) is not in a convenient
position due to an obstruction, insert an awl or a
similar object in hole of handle and turn
counterclockwise. Place handle in any comfortable
position and retighten handle.

3. Rotate handle counterclockwise until coil hook
engages the piano wire. Continuously maintain a slight
pressure on the handle.

4. Now place tuning hammer on socket and turn
clockwise as when tuning, ( usually 3 full turns).
Just before completion, release pressure on the handle
to avoid kinking the wire. Coil hook is now free from
wire.

5. Remove tuning hammer from socket; remove
INSTA-COILER and presto - the coil is made!

To reset tool, turn socket counterclockwise until it
cannot turn anymore. Tool is now automatically set and
ready for the next pin.

To Use INSTA-COILER with 3/0 Pins or larger

A. Loosen set screw in collar with allen key provided.
( see diagram)

B. Rotate socket until hole in tuning pin and coil
line up as shown in diagram. ( Note position of hole
in relation to coil hook).

C. After obtaining the proper alignment on step B,
slide collar down flush with top of sleeve.

D. Hold all parts carefully in place so they don't
move and tighten set screw in collar. Now proceed
using the direc tions as given for 2/0 pins. It is
most important to maintain tuning pin hole and coil
hook alignment for each pin size or the tool will not
function properly, because different size pins will
change the hole alignment.

Once you are familiar with the use of the
INSTA-COILER, here is a short cut so that you do not
have to change the collar adjustment. The INSTA-COILER
has been designed so that each full clockwise
revolution of the socket will allow the INSTA-COILER
to accomodate one size larger pin. For example: first
rotate the socket counterclockwise until you cannot
rotate it any further. In this position, the tool
should be aligned to wind a coil on a 2/0 pin. Using
the set screw on the collar as a marker, rotate the
socket clockwise one full turn. In this position the
tool will accomodate a 3/0 pin. If you rotate the
socket another full turn ( clockwise), it will now
accomodate a 4/0 pin. Each full turn will correspond
to approximately one size increase of the tuning pin.
If a large amount of restringing is to be done on a
piano, where 3/0 pins or larger are to be used, it
would be wise to reset the INSTA-COILER alignment as
outlined in steps A through D.

Richard
the "Piano Guy"