laminated ribs

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Mar 29 20:38:59 MST 2006

Having some experience with pianos with Del's designs I would not say that
even the softest hammer gave voicing difficulties.  I would say that a
softer hammer (Ronsen Bacon or unadulterated Isaac) was the right hammer on
some of these designs to produce plenty of power and brightness.  A model O
recently completed that I put Ronsen Bacon hammers on received only a
thorough and polished filing.  There was plenty of brightness all the way to
the top but I wouldn't say there was any difficulty in keeping them under
control.  In fact, under normal circumstances I might have sharpened the
attack just slightly in the bass and maybe brought the level up just a bit.
At present, however, the piano is just slightly understated and should
develop very nicely.  The pianist also wanted something not overly loud or
percussive with a natural and effortless pianissimo which also had me
leaving things well enough alone.  A slightly heavier rib scale that pushes
the hammer requirements up a little bit might well be appropriate for me and
others under certain circumstances, but nothing was lost for the softer
hammer.

The rather remarkable thing to me is that you can produce a piano that will
have adequate power, great sustain and even some brilliance with an
unhardened Ronsen Bacon Felt hammer.  Who'd have thought it was possible?

David Love

davidlovepianos at comcast.net