laminated ribs

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Mar 29 21:41:56 MST 2006

Ron  wrote
 Maybe assumptions are being made that aren't the case. The
boards I'm  building, and the boards Del's building too (from
his descriptions), aren't  stiffer than new CC boards, except
possibly in the treble. A new and well  made CC board is
overall stiffer ( has a higher spring rate under full  bearing
load) than the boards I'm building.

Ok, stiffer from the git go & a steady reduction of  resistance over time
also changing it's impedance

 But my boards have a
spring rate higher than the failed,  cumulative compression
damaged CC boards with the killer octave  problems.  Lacking
significant panel compression, my boards don't  have the steep
progressive spring rate of both CC, and RC with panel support
boards, like you're building.

Is that any better?
  Ron N

  Yes but Define steep progressive spring  rate.  I assume we're  talking non
linear

       Yes and perhaps  assumptions are being made in my case too.  I've been
ribbing at about 6%  lately so my evolutionary process continues. At what
point is panel compression  a virtual non factor any way?  I find my overall
Crown compression to  be  a bit more in the tenor area than in the treble and
I've  measured  2.5 to 3 mm residual crown in the killer  octave lately & I
continue to monitor this. I think variable amounts of  rib radius designs are
getting pretty common so were likely to  document  more similar results.
  I'm typically using the Ronsen Wurzen or Steinway hammers  with a medium
density feel to the felt when I needle.  Anyway hammer  stiffness is another
cool way to bench mark belly assembly  stiffness.
  Dale