Time Management: Shop work and tuning appointments.

James H Frazee jimfrazee at msn.com
Thu Mar 30 04:37:16 MST 2006

Phil,

I definitely believe you're on the right track about your schedule.  I became the pianist that I was for one very simple reason:  I practiced in the morning, every morning from 4:30 to 7:30 so that I would be free after school.  That schedule has continued to serve me well; how many calls do you get to tune pianos before, say, 9:30?  Like the Army ad, "We accomplish more before 8:00 than most people do all day."  It's perfect - quiet, head clear and, for phased jobs (glue drying, etc.) you can come back later that day for the final touches.

About your shop location - sometimes it can be dangerous simply because you can go to work any time you want, 24/7 if you want and some people are like that.  Give Ruth the key to your shop, she's the foreman!