Time Management: Shop work and tuning appointments.

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Mar 30 06:09:42 MST 2006

Phil, I find my schedule very similar to Mark's, except I'm up to scheduling three days in the shop and two out on service calls. And I do work most evenings past 5 pm. And I work most Saturdays (at least a few hours). And I work most Sundays (at least a few hours).

I find that most things I am doing in the shop are more efficient when you have long blocks of uninterrupted time to spend. Perhaps something like action work would lend itself to shorter blocks. I just find that I really don't "get in the groove" with an hour or two here and there. When I do spend an hour or two in the shop after a day of service calls, I usually just do menial tasks like cleaning up, organizing, etc.

If you are going to be doing refinishing in your new shop that is the lower level of your home I strongly suggest that you educate yourself on the topic of dust collection. A web site I found to be very useful is:  http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Index.cfm

Terry Farrell