laminated ribs

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Mar 30 21:11:42 MST 2006

> There was a discussion some time back about calculating the load per rib but
> I can't find it.  Do you simply average the number of unisons per rib in
> that section and calculate the load accordingly?
>
> David Love

I use the diabolically clever and highly sophisticated method
of looking at where a line half way between and parallel to
the ribs intersects the bridge and noting the unison numbers
at those points. Using these physical observations, each rib
is assigned the total bearing load of the unisons it will be
carrying in the piano at the presumed bearing angle and
calculated tensions from the scaling spreadsheet. Unison loads
down scale of the line go to the rib immediately below the
line, and unison loads up scale of the line go to the next rib
up. In other words, I look at the layout and see which ribs
are carrying which unisons and add up the unison loads for
each rib. The deflection of each rib is then computed with the
accumulated load for each, and that gives me some idea of the
load capacities of every rib in the system. I then diddle rib
dimensions, number, and/or bearing angles until I like the
interrelated results of calculated deflection under load of
the system, and build it. Every rib is doing a specific job,
and I'd like some idea of what that job is for every single rib.

It's really not remotely mysterious or tricky. It just takes
plain old time, thought, and work. Making sense of the outcome
in terms of tone production is about the only thing that will
take some accumulated experience and educated judgment -
within the scope of what type of rib support system you're
using (RC, or RC&S). The rules are different for each. I have
no clue whatsoever how to design a CC board, so that one's not
on the list.

Ron N