Time Management: - in review..

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Fri Mar 31 06:40:46 MST 2006

OK Phil, If you're so gung-ho...

Get the Turbinaire MiniPro Plus, Model 1235,  get the high heat hose
to interface with the turbine with all quick release fittings. Shop around.

The fastest I've seen a grand refinished was in 110 hours. This was by
someone well experienced and efficient, Dave Koelzer.  This included
break down, stripping, sanding, spraying, sanding, spraying, sanding,
rubbing-out, buffing brass, reassembly on a small grand. He was trying
to see just how fast it can get done, breaking his own record. But working
at that break-neck speed is not advised on a regular basis.

So you're first job will be 160 to 200 hours. You'll get faster as you
gain experience. You'll get real good just about the same time that
you become sick of it.   I'm assuming you're going for closed-out finishes,
open-pore is a snap although color matching on wood finishes is trickey.

One reason I encourage you to sub it out is that refinishing only pays
$20 to $30/hr. I save myself for more lucrative jobs.  When I did refinishing
I hired sanders/brass buffers @ $10 to $15/hr.

Don't open a bigger can of worms than you're willing to chew.
--

Jon