Broken Strings

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Mar 31 08:46:35 MST 2006

Whereas, I agree, bass string replacement can be the best alternative for fixing a broken bass string, but one should also consider what the other old bass strings sound like, what the willingness of the client is for spending more money to fix it (them), and what the client's tolerance is for completion (to string stability) of the job.

Splicing can get the piano up and playing that day, can preserve the muddy tone to match the surrounding bass strings, can be done for about $20 or so, and can be fairly stable that same day.

With a new string, on the other hand, your first service call will be to get the old string (or measurements), a second service call will be to install the new string and tune the piano, very likely a third service call in a couple/few weeks will be in order to touch up the stretching new bass string. The cost can be more than $100 more (for the first string) than splicing, can require several weeks or more before it is stable, will not be fixed that first afternoon, and may stand out like a sore thumb tonally on a piano with aging bass strings.

In summary, with an old crappy piano - splice if possible. Newer good quality piano - recommend a new string (although the old one might be spliced in on a temporary basis - and even here splicing isn't a bad long-term option).

Terry Farrell