Spare Hammers

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 31 09:37:19 MST 2006

Julia asked: "Is it a bad idea to keeep spare hammers in a car trunk? Will the
heat of the summer dry them out too much? My gu instnct tells me to put a
few in my tuning bag and that I keep with me in and out of the car. Any
thoughts on this?"

Julia,
I keep my spare hammers in Coffee Cans with the "seal" lids. They stay in my rig most of the time, (winter/spring/summer/fall). I have seen no ill effects from this. As others have pointed out, most of the time you are replacing a hammer or two or???, on beaters. For high end pianos, a slight mismatch is allowable, but only if a better solution is discussed with the client first.
I strongly urge you, NOT to carry parts around in your tuning kit, etc.!!! Nothing worse than all the crud of your kit imbedding itself into a, once, decent felt part. Looks crappy and unprofessional. I strongly urge you to "compartmentize". i.e. a woodworking kit, a stringing kit, a repinning kit, a regulation kit, etc. Each time you make the trip to the car/truck for a "special part" that you just happen to HAVE, it sends a message to the client that there will be an extra charge and that you are "prepared" and "organized". More bucks in your pocket, more professional repairs that impress the client!
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I