Aeolian Console key leveling problem

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Tue May 2 20:24:19 MDT 2006

Greetings,

        I was given an Aeolean Console and there is no serial# . The insides
are as new! A lady had it in her YARD!!! She covered it up weith plastic and
it endured only one rain storm. I brought it to my garage (where I work) and
after I let a 100 watt light bulb shine on the upper end (treble) a few days the
kyes de-swelled and no longer seize. For practical purposes it plays fine.

      However, I am trying to regulate this thing. First I checked the blow
distance. It is different in each area of the range. In the bass it is 1 7/8" ,
in the low mid range it is 1 13/16, in the upper mid range it is 1 11/16" and
then it goes from lower treble to upper treble 1 5/8"    to 1 3/8".

     Also I checked the hammer rest rail height off the keybed. I think the
hammer rest rail was screwed up from the factory. In the bass the rail is 1/8"
lower than the way top treble off the keybed. Even though I suspect that the
keybed is warped, the felts between the action brackets (there are 4 of them)
and the bottom of the hammer rest rail are all different heights!  In the bass
the piece of felt is 1/4" less in height than the middle two felts and the
felt under the top treble end bracket is in between the two sizes!  All
different! If I shim up the low ones will the weight of the rail cause the rail to
level over time?
The rail doesnt appear twtised or warped.

    Also, with the balance rail punchings all pretty much the same heights
(each key has a pink punching under the felt punching), the keys gradually get
very low towards the center culminating in 1/4" lowness in the center 50 keys
or so, yet the balance rail is level. I know there is something wrong with the
key levelling. Coud the bed be warped? What to do? Unscrew the balance rail
screws and shim? How can I check for warping? What to compare the bed against
and how?

     The space between the jack and the butt is different in each section of
the piano.  Does anyone know the specs on this piano for blow, key dip and key
height? This piano plays really okay, like new inside, good wood tight action
centers, hammers hardly grooved. It will be perfect for some deserving
beginner as soon as it is all worked out.

Julia Gottshall
Reading, PA