Aeolian Console key leveling problem

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue May 2 20:57:57 MDT 2006

   I was given an Aeolean Console and there is no serial# .

Look on the top of the pinblock or the treble end of the back of the pinblock area. You might find it stamped into the wood.

The insides are as new! A lady had it in her YARD!!! She covered it up weith plastic and it endured only one rain storm. I brought it to my garage (where I work) and after I let a 100 watt light bulb shine on the upper end (treble) a few days the kyes de-swelled and no longer seize. For practical purposes it plays fine.

Yikes, okay.

      However, I am trying to regulate this thing. First I checked the blow distance. It is different in each area of the range. In the bass it is 1 7/8" , in the low mid range it is 1 13/16, in the upper mid range it is 1 11/16" and then it goes from lower treble to upper treble 1 5/8"    to 1 3/8".

That sounds better than most Aeoleans. Just roll with it. Nothing you do is going to make this piano into a piano.

     Also I checked the hammer rest rail height off the keybed. I think the hammer rest rail was screwed up from the factory. In the bass the rail is 1/8" lower than the way top treble off the keybed. Even though I suspect that the keybed is warped, the felts between the action brackets (there are 4 of them) and the bottom of the hammer rest rail are all different heights!  In the bass the piece of felt is 1/4" less in height than the middle two felts and the felt under the top treble end bracket is in between the two sizes!  All different! If I shim up the low ones will the weight of the rail cause the rail to level over time?
The rail doesnt appear twtised or warped.

Ditto - see comment above.

    Also, with the balance rail punchings all pretty much the same heights (each key has a pink punching under the felt punching), the keys gradually get very low towards the center culminating in 1/4" lowness in the center 50 keys or so, yet the balance rail is level. I know there is something wrong with the key levelling. Coud the bed be warped?

Yes, among 1,748 other things.

What to do? Unscrew the balance rail screws and shim? How can I check for warping? What to compare the bed against and how?

Nothing. Don't worry about it. Just add whatever you need to the center rail punchings to level the keys.

     The space between the jack and the butt is different in each section of the piano.

Again, don't worry about it. Level the keys and adjust lost motion. Get a good night sleep!

Does anyone know the specs on this piano for blow, key dip and key height? This piano plays really okay, like new inside, good wood tight action centers, hammers hardly grooved. It will be perfect for some deserving beginner as soon as it is all worked out.

Ummmmm, "perfect" might just be a tad optimistic.  ;-)

Julia Gottshall
Reading, PA