Steingraeber factory pictures, bridge agraffes & adjustable vertical hitchpins

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Wed May 3 13:01:39 MDT 2006

> Someone mentioned something about a presumed vertical vibrational mode
> enhancement being automatically something that would simply pump more
> string energy directly into the soundboard and actually decreasing
> sustain.  I would say that was rather premature stated.... tho I would be
> delighted to see any science that backs that idea up.

Bizarre.  This seems so obvious to me :  the board is driven by the string
(via the bridge).  If the string vibrates in a mode that is normal
(perpendicular) to the board, then all of its energy contributes to make the
board vibrate in a way that will in the end favor the acoustic pressure wave
that we hear.  If the string (partly)  vibrates in a plane that is parallel
to the board surface, that energy will result in bridge twisting and board
compressions that will transfer only a tiny bit of energy into acoustic
pressure wave that we can hear.  Now, in the case that the string vibrates
in the vertical plane, thus, I think, transferring it's energy efficiently
to the board, this doesn't always mean (or am I wrong) that the sustain
would dininish, like in the case that the impedance of the board is too
close to the impedance of the string.  In this case, impedances respectively
are the same, it is just the vector of the forces acting that is more close
to the shape that maximizes the transfer of energy (vertical in this case).

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin