Steingraeber factory pictures, bridge agraffes & adjustable vertical hitchpins

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed May 3 15:43:00 MDT 2006

> It doesn't, but the use of these bridge agraffes appears to open the
> possibility of zero downbearing while maintaining good reliable
> termination.  With zero downbearing, it seems that the soundboard
> designer is suddenly given more choices and freedom of design (one of
> the choices available being...  include downbearing!).
> Steve Fujan

We've been over this many times. The slanted pins and offset
angle of conventional bridge pinning provides a good solid
clamp termination at the bridge without the need for
downbearing. Downbearing isn't for bridge coupling, it's for
an opposing spring system to the strings, and increasing the
stiffness of most of the soundboard assemblies out there by
rib loading and/or panel compression. Soundboard designers
always have, and still do have the option of designing zero
bearing soundboards with absolutely no detectable penalty in
string to bridge coupling with conventional pinning.

Ron N