Ethics question

pianolady50 at peoplepc.com pianolady50 at peoplepc.com
Thu May 4 05:57:22 MDT 2006

> << I wrote a positive report of the piano and recommended the buyer offer
>
> several hundred dollars below the asking price.

We all try to do the best for our customers (hopefully).  Suggesting
offering less than what you felt the piano was worth is an attempt to help.

However, in the future, consider this approach.  You are hired to evaluate a
piano for purchase.  You give a written evaluation of the condition with an
estimated purchase value.  The purchase value should meet or exceed what you
would be willing to pay, subjective issues aside. DO NOT suggest to the
customer *how* to make the purchase.  That is up to them.  Most people will
try negotiating a deal without you suggesting it.  Then if it falls through,
your offer of full value is not questionable.

My $2 worth. (inflation)
Debbie