Huh?? was RE: pRCT got ears again...

Kent Swafford kswafford at earthlink.net
Thu May 4 08:02:02 MDT 2006

Sorry for the blip in the following incorrect sentence:

"The more useful note to look at might be A#3. In checking the 4:2 F3-
F4 octave, the difference in beat rate between the F3-A#3 4th and the
A#3-F4 5th _is_ the beat rate of the 4:2 octave. Any change in the
tuning of A#3 will move the beat rates of the 4th and 5th in opposite
directions."

What I meant to discuss was that A#3 was a check note for the F3-F4
octave, and thus any movement of the A#3 would not change the
_difference_ between the beat rates of the F3-A#3 4th and the A#3-F4
5th. This means A#3 is a great check note for the F3-F4 octave, but
there is still only one place to put the A#3 correctly and maintain
equal temperament. The point, as poorly as I made it, is still that
you can't slow down both the 4ths and 5ths and maintain equal
temperament.

Kent