Steingraeber factory pictures, bridge agraffes & adjustable -- some more thoughts.

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Thu May 4 13:26:49 MDT 2006

Hi folks.

Hope this isnt dead because its actually full of good stuff.  I think
one of the main points with this mathematical model of Dr. Andersen is
being missed in the rush to discount the whole thing.  I'm assuming the
model he built was based on a piano string isolated from outside
influences... such as a soundboard.  If this is so then the question
about validity and how all this in turn fits into the piano, then things
are not quite as straightforward as the discussion so far has required.

First there is the matter of whether or not <<a string>> will vibrate
longer if kept virbrating in a vertical direction by the terminations as
opposed to changing over to the horizontal mode. I'm assuming for the
moment that its possible to actually control vibrational direction to
some degree thus.  In order to find out whether the nett sustain of the
string actually is longer for same input force one is going to have to
isolate the string from all driven systems... like a soundboard.  i.e.
maximize the impeadance in all directions at the terminations.   If a
string in iself does then actually have longer sustain when forced to
vibrate vertically --- or rather in the same direction as the input
force (which is the actual heart of the matter me thinks) then we can
move on to the next bit.

A few facts have been thrown into the mesh here already. Most notably
the effect of mass on sustain and the fact that the soundboard is more
easily driven up and down rather then sideways. This second used to
assert that if the (installed) string did actually vibrate longer in the
vertical direction then the board would just more readily suck up its
energy and sustain would decrease... ie the opposite of the <<claim>>.

But if it was established in the first place that  a string in itself
will indeed vibrate longer if its vibrational direction stays in the
same direction as the input force... then suddenly we have an entirely
puppy we are dealing with.  And this puppy, as it were, would have to be
correctly designed into the rest of the piano.  One scenario I can
imagine is that Stuart and his team KNEW that he would have to exploit
this sustaining string correctly BECAUSE of the problem with soundboard
impeadance.... and that the mass of the aggraffes could be used along
with other soundboard design issues to create an appropriate impedance
to a string vibrating thus.  Just a thought.

btw... this is why I thought it interesting to hear the Steingræaber in
comparison.  No doubt Udo came up with some different combination of
things and it would be real cool to know what those were and listen to
the differences.

Cheers
RicB